Its been a while since motorola has released the 5.0.2 soak test update. The public release was scheduled sometime after the soak test, but it actually took quite a time. The problem behind the delay is unknown. But, anyways, now, when the final public release of android lollipop 5.1 for the moto e is out, let me actually show you how to manually do the update. The update process is a little bit tricky, but is of zero risk. So, anybody can apply the update but he needs to read the steps properly otherwise he might run into trouble.
- Make sure that you have atleast 50% battery before applying the update.
- Make a backup of all your apps and data before applying the update.
Method 1 – (For stock users)
- Make sure that you are running completely stock version of android before applying the update. Do not try to apply the update with custom recoveries as it may hardbrick your device.
- If you are running any kind of custom recovery, rom or kernel, you can downgrade to 4.4.4 by following my guide here or follow the method 2.
- There are two soak test updates which you need to apply before applying this 5.1 update.
- The first soak test update can be applied from here. If you have already applied that update, you can skip this step. You can confirm the update version by going into settings-> about phone and check if the system version is 22.21.32 only.
- Now, you need apply the second soak test update. This update is just 13mbs. You can download the 2nd update from here.
- After the update is downloaded, you need to copy the update file in your sd card. Now go into settings -> about phone -> system updates. Your system will detect the update and install it.
- Now, you should be running on system version 22.31.36.
- After successfully upgrading to both the soak tests, download the 5.1 update from here and copy it onto your sd card. Now, you need to apply the 5.1 update by using the same method.
- Go into settings -> about phone -> system updates. You system will detect the update and install it.
- Now, your new system version will be 23.21.34 which means you are running android version 5.1 on your moto e.
Method 2 – (For custom users)
- If you are running a custom recovery and you don’t want to loose it, i’ll provide a twrp backup of the official 5.1 update.
- Download the rar file from here and extract it onto on your computer.
- Now, copy the twrp folder from the extracted file and paste it in the sd card of your phone.
- Now, boot into twrp recovery and do a factory data reset. After the reset, tap on restore and choose the twrp backup from your sd card. Make sure that you are restoring both system and boot partitions.
- After the restore, reboot into system. The first boot will take a lot of time. So, don’t panic and just wait and watch.
Congratulations! You’ve got Lollipop 5.1 public release on your Moto E! I guess this is the first guide out there. So if you find it useful, then do check us out on Facebook and Twitter. Also, if you face any problems while applying the update, then feel free to ask it in the comments section below.