Xiaomi has stepped into the Indian markets with great success. One after the other, they are launching tight budget smartphones. Redmi 1S, was no doubt a huge success, and then they’ve launched the Redmi 2.
The Redmi 2 hosts in a decent pack of specifications. A snapdragon 410, 1GB RAM, 720p display makes it a perfect buy. And for the power users, Xiaomi has been always a good choice as it doesn’t have warranty issues whether or not, you modify the software.
So, let’s jump straight into what we are here for, let’s root the Redmi 2. The rooting procedure will be a 2 step process. Firstly, we will install Clockworkmod recovery and then flash the SuperSU file to root the Redmi 2.
- Make sure that you have atleast 50-60% juice left on your phone.
- Enable USB Debugging. This can be done by going into Settings-> About Phone-> Tap on MIUI Version 5-7 times.
- Now go back to Settings-> Additional Settings -> Developer Options-> and enable USB debugging there.
- The entire rooting process requires a bunch of files from different resources. So, i’ve compiled them all in a single zip. Download the zip from here.
How To Flash CWM Recovery –
- Unzip the rooting kit and install MiPhone application from there. The app installation process will take a minute or two to complete.
- Now go to C Drive -> Program files (x86) -> Xiaomi -> MiPhone -> Google -> Android.
- Copy the recovery.img file from the rooting kit to this destination.
- Now, while pressing the shift key, right click on an empty space in the window and then click on ‘Open command window here’.
- Turn off your phone. When it completely gets switched off, press and hold the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Power Button’ together. Now, the phone will go into fastboot mode.
- Now, connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- Run the following command –
- Once you execute this command, you will get a name for the device, ensuring that everything is fine.
- Now, run the following command –
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- This command will flash CWM recovery onto your phone.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the device. Now, take out the battery from the phone, re-insert it and power on the phone.
Congratulations, you’ve successfully flashed CWM on your Redmi 2. Now, we are ready to roll into the actual rooting process.
How To Root Xiaomi Redmi 2 –
Now that you have flashed the custom recovery, all you need to do is to flash SuperSU file using that custom recovery. Steps are given below.
- Copy the SuperSU file from the rooting kit onto your phone’s internal memory.
- Now, you need to boot into CWM recovery. To do this, power off your device. Now, press ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Power Button’ together to boot into CWM recovery.
- Now that you are in CWM recovery, Volume Up and Down buttons are used to scroll Up and Down respectively and Power button is used to select the highlighted option.
- Scroll down to ‘Install Zip’ option and select it. Then select ‘Choose zip from /sdcard’. Select ‘o/’ and choose the SuperSU zip.
- Now, select the ‘Yes-install the zip’ option and confirm to flash it.
Voila, you’ve successfully rooted your Xiaomi Redmi 2! If you have any queries, feel free to post them in the comments section below !