Android one devices have proved to be a great success in the Indian markets. They were cheap, offered a decent pack of specifications and most importantly, provided stock android experience with assured updates. But, wait, where are the updates? It’s been around 3-4 months since Google has released android lollipop and we, the android one users, are getting it today. That’s not fair, really not fair.
Keeping those curses aside, let’s jump into what we are here for, let’s install the official lollipop update for Canvas A1.
Download the update zip from here. This actually is the official OTA itself. Since it takes time for the rollout of the update, the OTA has been captured and converted into flashable zip.
If you want to update from 5.1 to 5.1.1, then download the zip from here and use the same steps to upgrade.
You don’t need to have an unlocked bootloader or root access to flash the update.
Key Points –
- You can apply the update using stock recovery as well as custom recovery.
- Make sure that you have atleast 50-60% charge left on your device.
- Backup all your important data. The update won’t wipe any data on your device. But still, it’s safe to do so.
- First of all, copy the zip to the SD card of your phone.
- Now, you need to boot into recovery mode. This can be done as follows.
- Power off your device and wait for 4-5 seconds after the lights turn off.
- Press and hold ‘Power + Volume Up’ buttons together for a few seconds and then release the buttons as soon as you see the boot menu screen.
- In the boot menu, the Volume Up button is used to scroll between various options and the Volume Down button is used to confirm the option.
- To go into recovery mode, you need to press the Volume Up button 3 times and then press Volume Down to confirm.
- Now, a dead android logo will appear stating ‘No Command’. Now, first press the Power button and then while pressing the power button, press the Volume Up button and then release them together.
- Now that you are in recovery mode, Volume Up and Volume Down buttons are used for scrolling and Power button is used to confirm the option.
- Scroll down and confirm the ‘Apply Update from SD Card’ option.
- Now scroll up and down and select the file that you downloaded.
- It will take around 4-5 minutes for the update to complete. Once the update gets completed, reboot your device.
- The first boot will take around 4-5 minutes or even longer. So, do not panic.
Hurray, now you are running the official version of lollipop on your Canvas A1.
If you face any problems, do let me know in the comments section below and i’ll solve the ASAP.