The new Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus are the new flagship phones from Samsung. These phones are equipped with flagship exynos processor from Samsung. These devices have great potential but to utilize their great potential we need to have root access on them so that we can remove the bloatware applications and install custom ROMs. How to root Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus is the most commonly asked question on the internet these days. So, here we are with a compact and safe “How to” guide.
Note – This guide is only applicable to the exynos variant of Samsung Galaxy S8/S8 Plus.The following list of S8 and S8+ models are applicable:
To check your device’s model number go to Setting->About device .
Disclaimer : Rooting the device will void it’s warranty so do it at your own risk. We at TheTechnoTriad will not be responsible for your bricked devices. The process is however, very safe and thorough. So, you won’t face any trouble if you follow the steps very carefully.
Note – The rooting process will wipe all the data on your device. So make sure you backup all your important data before proceeding.
- Make sure you have 70-80% of battery on your device to avoid unexpected failures.
- Install the Samsung USB Drivers on your PC from here.
- Enable developer options. Go to Settings->About phone->Software info and tap build number 7-10 times until you see “Now you are a developer”.
- Go to Settings-> Developer options and find “OEM Unlock” and “USB Debugging” to enable them both.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Rooting Kit –
- Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus Rooting Kit –
- Download the appropriate rooting kit for your device and extract it in a separate folder.
How To Install TWRP Recovery On Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+
- Unzip Odin and open Odin3.exe from the extracted folder.
- Switch off the phone.
- Now, boot the device into download mode.
- To do this, press and hold the ”Bixby + Volume Down + Power” buttons simultaneously. Then press the “Volume Up” button to confirm.
- Now, connect the S8 to a PC with USB cable.
- Your device must be detected by Odin if the drivers are installed correctly.
- Your Odin3 must look something like this. The ID:COM must be highlighted in blue and Log should show “Added!!”.
- Now, click on the ”AP” button and select the TWRP recovery from the rooting kit.
- Now, click on the options tab and uncheck the ”Auto Reboot” option.
- Now, click on Start and wait for the flashing process to complete.
- If everything goes right, you’ll see the ID:COM port turn green with a PASS message.
- Now, disconnect the USB cable from the PC.
How To Root Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+
- Switch off the device.
- Now, press and hold the ”Volume Up + Bixby + Power” Buttons simultaneously until you see the galaxy S8 logo.
- You’ll see TWRP warning screen. Swipe to allow modifications.
- Now, tap on “wipe” and swipe to confirm. Type yes and click enter. This will wipe all the data on your device.
- Now, go back to the main menu in TWRP and select reboot->recovery. Click on “do not install”
- This will boot your S8 into TWRP recovery again. Swipe to allow modifications.
- Now, click on “mount” and connect the phone to the PC.
- This will open up the internal storage of your S8 on the PC.
- Copy the no-verify-opt-encrypt.zip and magisk.zip files from the rooting kit onto the internal storage.
- Now, hop on to the TWRP recovery. Tap the Install button and browse to select no-verify-opt-encrypt-5.1.zip. Swipe to confirm the installation.
- Now, go back to the main menu and tap on install button again. Browse to select Magisk-v12.0.zip and swipe to confirm the installation.
- After the flashing process is complete , go to the TWRP main menu and reboot->system. Click on “do not install”.
- Note that the first boot will take 5-7 minutes. So, do not panic.
You must see the Magisk app on your Galaxy S8 if you have followed the guide correctly.
Voila! You’ve rooted your Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ !